11 January, 2019

Biography-22: people I remember- 13




Dr Christopher Moses, Jalna Mission Hospital, Jalna

Dear Christopher,

I have an urge to send greetings of appreciation to some people who have left lasting impressions in my life. You are one of those persons!

My first impressions of you is what I heard from you in the CMC council meetings from the time you started attending the CMC Vellore council meetings. You spoke with conviction. You were reasonable and logical. You talked about student visits to Chittoor when a lighter moment was needed. Every time you spoke on any issue it brought a lateral thinking on the issue.

It was during the time when Anandit did his one year with you when Anna and I had opportunities to visit you and Shobha, which brought an insight into your life. You felt for the institution and cared for those who worked with you. The way you opened your home to the young doctors and mentored them is phenomenal. On those occasions when we had an opportunity to join you for the Sunday morning breakfast, we noticed the personal interest you took in making them feel wanted and appreciated.

The transition that Jalna Mission hospital was able to make was on account of you. Even before the ICU service was well known you had a dedicated ICU with high standards of practice. You had difficult season with the church, but you were patient and steadfast. That has paid off in due course.

I know that you felt tempted to leave and do something else. Your resolve to stay till it was impossible to stay was a magnanimous step. You suffered pain when Shobha had to leave. I thought that the way you went through the season of suffering pain and accusation was akin to being a statesman, who allowed things to simmer but stayed on course knowing the larger purpose of a mission hospital. Some conversations with you personally and on phone during that difficult season gave me an insight to the innate strength you carry with you.

I marvel the way you finally got the hospital back to its road map through a partnership with the Apte  group..That made Shobha to return as well... they were not just problem solving exercises, but sober and wise planning for a better future which is a tribute to your insight and foresight.

I have been a student of the missiological journey of some mission hospitals. It is something like a hobby to me. Seeing what happened at Jalna, it was more than just a turn around.. it was defining the future through a contemporary change process!

I wish, more of your friends have a similar sense of loyalty to the CNI as you have! You mentioned to me a few times about CNI not adequately represented in the EC at CMC. I was keen to have that looked into...but...

Your sense of mission transcends the usual contours and content. You have a sense of history. You study and understand the national scene! You apply your managementally trained mind  critically with a good business sense. These are exceptional skills.

Anandit and Aswathy think of their  time with you in adulation. They have an overwhelming recollection of the joyful time.

As one who has more years behind than ahead, I usually ask this question,’what of Christian faith is still significant ’! I conclude, ‘doing good’. That is what you have done with your life thus far!

Both your children have adoringly pursued all the good that you stand for. Shobha is an outstanding role model of ‘giving even while it hurts’! What a noble example!

Christopher, you touched my life in different ways. I wish I had more conversation times with you! You inspire and inform, both being equally important.

I am glad to share these thoughts as I think of you and feel grateful to you for being open to me! Thank you for being generous and thoughtful. Warm greetings to Shobha!

With regards,

M C Mathew

No comments:

Post a Comment