07 January, 2019

Travails of life!



This tree in our garden has been pruned almost every year for the last thirty years, as much as I can remember. The tree carries the marks and signs of having had its branches cut several times. It has survived all of these years and still is strong in its growth. Its leaves and stems are useful for a former. The leaves are rich as an organic manure. The stems are useful as fire wood. So this tree has often been utilitarian in function. Most farms have a few of these trees. 

One experience I come across in my conversations with people is how they feel used and not valued.

A driver who has been working in an organisation shared with me his story that moved me. He reached the retirement age. It is usual practice that the organisation offers an extension to some whose service has been outstanding. He is one such faithful and diligent worker. When the offer came, he was asked to work on days when he is needed at half the salty that he was drawing for less than the minimum daly wages prescribed for eight hours of work. To me it was devastating news. 

Having known this particular person, quiet tempered, relational and conscientious, I felt the pain of the insult he suffered. 

Let me suggest that we live in such an environment where people feel used and not valued. They have heaviness of heart and enormous sense of 'not feeling wanted'!

I too am familiar with similar experiences myself! Others make you feel 'not needed' by deliberately ignoring or belittling you.

In a conversation with this person, I was able to bring his attention to the different skills he carries and the wide experience have had to pick up the pieces of his life to earn enough to support the family. However this experience from an organisation  which he served sincerely is something that hurts him!

All of us carry experiences of feeling 'reduced' by the attitude of others with whom we had close association! 

What sustains me in such occasions is a growing consciousness within me: Life is larger in dimension,  depth and purpose than what others attribute or perceive! 

Our life is a theatre of God's presence and purpose. That is a consolation and comfort!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment