11 January, 2019

Biography-22 People whom I want to remember-12


To: Rt. Rev Dr C.V.Mathew, Bishop of St. Thomas Evangelical Church of India, Thiruvella, Kerala
                                                                                                                       10.1.2019
Dear respected Bishop,

Greetings.

I have been writing to some friends, whom I have known for a while, as part of my seventieth birthday thanksgiving. I do this to recall and share my memories and express my gratitude for friendship and encouragement I received from those with whom I have had some contacts from my college days. 

When I read the Evangelical Church monthly magazine yesterday, I realized that you have completed your term as the presiding Bishop. I wanted to remember you and send you my words of appreciation, during the transition time in your life.

I remember meeting you for the first time at UBS Pune, when Anna I came for the INTERSERVE annual fellowship conference, which might have been in the late eighties. I recall the conversations about UBS and some of the difficulties UBS was going through at that time. Along with few of your colleagues, I realized, how much you were committed to uphold values and seek to promote healing and restoration of relationship within the UBS community. I remember conversations about your view of the Hindu Philosophy and your efforts to understand the followers of Hinduism in a non-judgemental way.

A few years later, I vividly remember meeting you in Dr Raju Abrahams’ house in London, when you were spending some time in the UK in connection with your doctoral study. Raju at that time was studying the Indo-Gangetic culture, history, geography, population statistics and the state of affairs of people socially, politically and economically. I was fascinated by the scholarly conversations between both of you, which fascinated me and enlarged my understanding of different people groups in some of the northern states of India.  Raju was an activist and was preparing himself to return to live in northern India in response to a call he has had from his childhood.  You appeared to create awareness among followers of Jesus of Nazareth a greater understanding of the belief system of Hindus seeking to find a common ground to continue dialogue with them. Your dialogue based outlook to building relationships and to enlarge the friendship circle by including people from all faiths, gave me a new insight about the value of  ‘living with people to get to know them first’!

This helped me to get back to be in touch with my friends of the college years, to renew contacts and friendships. I still keep in touch with some of them and continue dialogue with them on issues related to spirituality and faith. I am grateful to you for planting this seed in my heart at that time.

The personal health story you shared with me of how you coped with your angina is also an experience, which had s resonance in my life. After my coronary artery surgery five years ago, I recollected the stories of people whom I knew, who coped with heart disease for the rest of their lives. Your story of living a life of order and discipline after your health set back, came back to me as a good example of the need to choose to live mindfully of our body. 

I remember hearing you speak at public meetings on a few occasions, each time feeling the freshness you bring to the scripture and the teachings of Jesus.

As I have had lot to do with late Rev. P.T.Chandapilla between 1983 and 1987, before he moved out from Chennai to Pune, There were occasions when you appeared in our conversations. I remember him mentioning to me that you have considerable leaderships skills.  He hoped to see you in a national role in the service of the Church. I am glad that, his wish for you came to be fulfilled through your leadership of the church, Bible Society, etc.

I have vivid memories of a sight at the Kochi international airport, early in the morning about two weeks before you were to be consecrated as the Bishop. I saw you pushing the luggage trolley of the visitor you had come to welcome. I felt moved to see a Bishop elect chosing to be in a serving role! It is one of the few instances in my life, when I observed a Bishop of an episcopal church, demonstrating a serving spirit with ease and comfort through doing something physically. This is etched in my memory. Let me remember this as an act of your spirit of caring and serving. 

You came home to lead the funeral service of my mother. It was a kind gesture and brought much encouragement to Anna and me. 

I remember you at this time as you would probably be travelling and ministering to people more widely within the church and outside. 

Your generation of leaders in the church and the para-church organizations brought a refreshing interpretation of the life of discipleship. I have been blessed by this. Anna joins me in sending our love and regards for your health and wellness. 

M.C.Mathew

No comments:

Post a Comment