11 January, 2019

Biography-22- Friends whom I remember -11


To prof. Jacob John, Retired professor of  clinical Virology, CMC Vellore

Dear Sir,

Greetings.

As I prepare myself to move on to be seventy in a few months, I feel an urge to write to all friends who have reached out and supported me in some way since my post graduate days. I feel grateful for the special support you offered to me when I was in CMC from 1981 for two years and thereafter for helping me to return to CMC in 1997 to begin the developmental Paediatrics facility at CMC Vellore.

I recall having conversations after about six months of joining CMC in 1981, when you shared with me the opportunities in Infectious diseases as a specialty. I recall listening to your experiences in virology and clinical application of it in modifying the polio vaccine programme in North Arcot. That was the time when Dr Thomas Cherian was doing the Measles antibody titre, and Dr Vinohar Balraj was keeping a tag on the prevalence pattern of analytic poliomyelitis. It was a high point for you as you were decisively approaching two major infectious diseases with a desire to propose a national programme which would contain these two devastating illnesses.  You were looking for paediatricians who would form a nuclear group in strengthening the clinical research to evolve policies. I confess that I was inspired by your scientific approach, rational thinking, and excellent problem solving skills. I was by then two years after my post graduate training.  I felt enthused by what you said about research and infectious diseases, which made me to think seriously about my personal interest.

When I approached you to suggest that I was inclined towards cardiology, you did indicate your disappointment, but remained cordial making an effort to have brief conversations whenever we met. I remember several occasions when I met you to discuss clinical situations of Diphtheria, Tetanus Neonatorum, Hepatitis B, etc. I still remember some of those conversations because you cared to listen, understand and explain. I was fascinated by the breadth and the depth of your scientific knowledge base. In fact I looked for an opportunity to interact with you to get  a sense about pursuing an interest in a specialty.  I was inspired by your example to keep up the academic dimension, whatever one does in any specialty.

Soon after my daughter died when she was three months old, I was in a state of confusion. I knew from various experiences since that loss that her coming and departure was to give a message about children who were developmentally disadvantaged. I was half way into preparing for cardiology trainning and this message to turn my attention to children with developmental needs left me perplexed, because the administration at CMC declined to create any opportunity to explore that at CMC. You heard me out on at least two occasions to explore what was in my mind about the practical aspects of helping children with developmental needs. You did suggest that I need to find out more about the scope of the opportunity and decide on a training programme to equip me better on this. One remark you made was very decisive: whatever you want to do, do it with your utmost ability. You did persuade me against leaving CMC as an academic set up was more suitable for me who had an interesting tin clinical work and teaching. There was none at that time in India who was fully into developmental paediatrics, which you felt was both a disadvantage as well as an opportunity.

While I was going through that decision making process, another disturbing news was that as my MD paed from Nagpur was not recognised by the MCI, because of which i was told that  I would not get any promotion at CMC.  When I approached you with this news, you consoled me by saying that the MCI recognition owl come through and in the mean time, there would not be any change in my responsibilities at CMC. Yes, the MCI recognition came through in a year's time. I recall this incident because the administration had suggested that I resign, where as you thought otherwise. Yo mentioned to me that if needed I can complete the national Board examination, which is what I did. Thank you for feeling with me and guiding me through a dilemma with understanding and foresight.

I did leave CMC in 1982 when it became clear that the personal experience with our daughter was message to us about preparing to respond to the needs of developmentally challenged children. That is how ASHIRVAD trust was formed and a Child Development Centre was started at Chennai in 1983. I remember coming to Vellore to attend the CMC council meeting in 1986. I happened to meet you in the evening. You took time to listen to all that we were doing to take forward the activities of Child Development Centre. You were affirming and enthusiastic. One suggestion you gave was about documenting whatever we did and making short presentations in writing and in meetings. That was a turning point. I still have the clinical sheets, reports and photographs of those early years. I did write but was more active in presenting papers in meetings.

A year alter I met you, I shared with you some of the publications, newsletters and the reports of ASHIRVAD. You wanted me to focus more on academic aspect  and suggested that CMC might want me to come back to CMC to start a specialty in this discipline. I did not give much importance to it. But you seemed serious about it. Dr Pulimood mentioned to me that you had mentioned to him about our work at Chennai and he indicated an interest to visit us at Chennai. The seed for starting a specialty of developmental paediatrics was planted in the leadership of CMC as early as 1987 or 88 by your initiative. Dr Willian cutting was another person who kept reminding Dr Pulimood and Dr Mathan about it. The formal invitation for me to return to CMC was sent to me in 1995.

Sir, the decision to return to CMC to start the developmental paediatrics unit in partnership with ASHIRVAD was a decisive step with many advantages. It was the first academic department in any medical college in India with a post doctoral fellowship programme and facility to do PhD in this specialty. That department continues to be providing leadership in this specialty in india. You had a significant role in making this happen. You persuaded me to be academic and I did undergo training overseas and completed PhD in Developmental Neurology from the institute of Neurology, Chennai in 1996, when I was still in Chennai. Those preparations were seminal to bring an academic dimension to this specialty when we started in 1997 at CMC. Thank you for your encouragement and the inspirational conversations.

I am amazed how that small beginning at Chennai in 1983 led to starting other facilities such as a school for a developmentally disadvantaged children at Chennai, an Early Learning Centre at Nagpur, developmental paediatrics unit at CMC and a child Development centre at MOSC Medical college, Kolenchery. I owe a lot to senior friends such as you who kept encouraging me along the way.

It was during my time at CMC from 1997, I had more opportunities to meet with you and visit you. One interview I had with you remains as a crucial link in understanding your mission in clinical virology and infectious disease in children. The interview focused on the challenges and difficulties you have had to endure from the time you joined back CMC after your membership examination overseas.  You were denied a permanent place in child health and  had to consider to leave or stay on at CMC in another specialty. Since then, you made tremendous stride with determination in pursuing your direction and making a vital contribution nationally and internationally.

It was from you I heard for the first time about the role of injectable polio vaccine for eradicating paralytic poliomyelitis. You had considerable resistance from other scientists and policy makers that it had to wait for almost twenty-five years before it was recognised as a policy in india.  I continue to be amazed at the way you envisaged the future in such clarifying ways much ahead of others and prevailed with your conviction against all odds.

I look back and draw inspiration from the several conversations I have had with you. I feel that the little academic research interest I have had had in my 35 years in developmental paediatrics was because of few mentors such as you. I want to recognise and appreciate your guidance, support, and the enablement which  I have experienced from you. This meant a lot to me. You supported me during my formative years in developmental paediatrics.

Thank you for your encouragement and personal appreciation you offered to me time and again.

With warm regards and good wishes for your wellness and for your ongoing inspirational journey,

M.C.Mathew

No comments:

Post a Comment