28 September, 2018

Cows and memories !


I stopped to watch these cows in the field as they looked similar to the cows my parents had about sixty years ago. My mother kept cows till she was bout seventy years old! That is about fifty years of experience in rearing and looking after cows.

Our domestic helper Sasi, whose father used to help in looking after the cows at home, at one time we had five of them, told me that my mother used to  make ghee form the milk. He recalled how people from adjacent villages used to come to buy ghee! In fact the ayurvedic physicians who used to make their own medicines preferred to buy ghee form my mother because it was pure and rich!

My mother was particular that our cows had tree grass to feed on part form the regular cow feeds she would offer them. The cow feeds used to consist of 'copra' the left over of the dried coconut after extracting coconut oil. In fact it was edible and rich in protein and fat.

At one stage when my mother gave me permission to feed the cows, I took care of all the younger cows and the calves. When a calf is born, it was the practice to feed on the mother's milk for several days!

My mother used to tell me that it is for the calf the cow produces milk. We deprive the calf of the milk, if we do not allow the calf to feed on the mother. 

I am grateful for such foundational values that I was introduced to during my earlier days of formation. My mother encouraged me to have lunch with other students in the class. She usually packed an extra banana in my lunch packet so that I could offer it to someone. It seemed to be an unnecessary practice at that time. Now looking back, I feel such acts of thoughtfulness has impacted me immensely. 

All around the hedge of the compound, my father planted grass which he got form the agricultural farm in Trichur. This grass was know to be nutritious to cows. I was looked to cut the grass in the evening and feed the cow. I remember this vividly. By the time I am in the cow shed with the grass, all the cowes and calves would show their excitement to receive their portion. They would lick my hand when I reached them with the grass!

Each of our cows had a name and they would respond when they were called by shaking their head! If I were to stroke their head, they would bend their head and indicate pleasure in being stroked. For me as a child, these were some lessons in understanding how we are to be in our attitudes towards animals. 

Finally when my mother was no more able to take care of cows and decided to give them away she chose people who are fond of cows. One of her usual conversations those days was about her experiences with each of them. One cow was particularly bit rough and was difficult to be tamed. In fact she fell down and broke her leg because the cow dragged her when she was trying to stop her. Even after that she was equally kind to that cow.  

Humans are to be friendly towards animals. That was a lesson my parents showed in tier practice. My father who was fond of dogs, took care of them well!

All these thoughts rushed into my mind during that 15 minutes, while watching the cows in the photo graze in the field!
    
M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment