04 September, 2018

A hill far away!


A view of hill far away from the high way at dawn !

I usually pause at the sight of hills, whenever possible. 

The hills are symbolic in many ways.

For me on that day, this hill became a symbol for quiet presence!

I was driving alone after a stormy governing board meeting of an organisation! I felt the pressure to consent to conform to an option chosen by a few on a critical issue, where as an alternative and better option was available which would benefit many!

Having been in the governing board for a while, I sensed that the pressure that came upon me, was leading me to a breaking point! As I was driving back, it occurred to me that it was time to bring this association with the governing board to a closure. But then I felt obliged to continue till the end of my term, which was few months from then.

It was during such a conflict within, I paused to view this hill. Except the green canopy of  trees over the hill and some rocks between them, I was not able to get any details of the hill. But its quiet presence, a home for birds, reptiles, vegetation, stones, etc. drew my attention. It allows water to drain to the valley during the rainy season to supply water to the waterbodies. It even stops the rain clouds to allow the rain to fall in the valley! A hill is therefore is a a place of help and hope!

I did say farewell to my role in the governing board! It was then I realised  that I was carrying a load that was not my calling any more! I discovered a calling that was awaiting me for quiet presence and yet be generous with acts of kindness!

It is now ten months since that experience. I reached the retiring age since then, but was asked to continue to be involved in the department where I work at the medical college. It is during these ten months, I experienced some good turning points for the continuity and stability of the department. It became a place for quiet presence to bring help and hope!

It is from the valley we can look upto a hill! I was in a valley emotionally and relationally, when this hill drew my attention. That made all the difference since then! From a valley to a hill in my inner orientation!

I have a better insight now of what the Psalmist in the Bible meant, when he sang, 'I look unto the hill from where my help comes'!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment