28 September, 2018

A long way to go!


It shocked me to know that we in India amidst all the developments we find, still sore poorly in our investment in health, education, etc. 

Yesterday, a young health care consultant told me in some detail how the quality of training in medicine has declined with students slipping into an examination centric view of studying. The fund of knowledge which an undergraduate acquires is 'not good enough' to apply oneself in a clinical situation. 

It is a bad example to return to earlier days to draw any lesson of value.. but I am compelled to recollect the enormous emphasis on clinical skills that I was introduced to fifty years ago during my training. I grew up studying medicine with an excitement of observation, association and clinical demonstration of signs for diagnosis.  

Even as I plead with students to give more emphasis on bedside practice, I find this less inviting. After giving a lecture on an important topic with considerable application in clinical practice, I offered the students a handout which they could collect from the office. None came to collect it in 48 hours. 

So the policy and practice in health care education throw up challenges. Is the system of election of students bringing the highly motivated students to study medicine! Is our mentoring of students formative enough to give them opportunity to grow up liking study of medicine! Is the example of their teachers in their conduct and practice appealing and inspiring! 

India is growing and developing...but there are several gaps which threaten our infrastructure. 

It is now six years since Anna and I are in the faculty of a medical school. Sometimes we wonder whether we are leaving behind an inspiration for students to look at their learning process to grow in to the vocation of medicine!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo) 

No comments:

Post a Comment