11 October, 2019

An awful neglect !




Yesterday, as I watched this workman climbed the tree to trim the branches, I was disturbed by the lack of protection he has in doing this difficult job. He did not have a head or body gear that would give him some safety. I realised that he does not have a personal risk protection insurance. I wish he had an electric saw instead of a knife!

While driving to work after seeing this, I carried a sense of anxiety about the risks the workers carry at work place. 

I had not thought of providing enough protective devices for workmen. I have not been used to check on their tetanus protection immunisation. I make sure that they have in between rest time and compensate them well for what they do. Anna and i have given an annual cash gift for workers who come regularly and deposit it in their bank account and acknowledge them with gifts and rewards periodically. We usually cover their medical needs and try to reach out to their families when needed.

I feel that it is not enough as daily wage earners  have very little to live on i a situation when they fall ill or grow older. 

Anna and I have been struggling with the habit of at least one person who is an alcohol user. To help him out of this is not easy. His daughter's marriage, which is due next month would involve huge expense, which makes him anxious. This makes him turn to alcohol more.

Anna and I became more aware of another concern that we ought to respond actively. These are opportunities which can make a change.

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment