09 October, 2019

The oldest black pepper plant !


The black pepper plant is a climber which in the past was planted beneath trees which would then be the supporting tree for the black pepper plant to climb. 

Growing black pepper was a passion for my father and at one time we would have had about 100 trees with black pepper.

One tree in the last one year is slanting and looks too risky in case of a storm. As the workman was removing the stem of the climber in order to cut the tree, I stood watching recollecting the annual ritual of plucking pepper from the climber as a child. 

That is at least sixty years ago.

The tree and the pepper plant are at least seventy years old. That is why I think that it might be the oldest plant in our garden.

What is in a history! The annul ritual of manuring the plant, trimming the tree, plucking pepper, drying it in the sun,  and cleaning the dried seeds before selling in the market involved  many hours of work involving many.

This activity was to make a livelihood as each of  my parents earned about hundred rupees a month as teachers. That was a big income in the immediate post independent India. The additional income from the farm made it possible for my parents to buy some more property to farm coconuts, nutmeg, Coco, banana etc.

The farm income was the main source for my parents as only around their retirement time the salary had gone up for teachers. So the pension they received would not have sustained them. 

The farming involved cow rearing for my mother and selling about 10 litres of milk for neighbours gave another source of income. 

I remember both my parents doing all these chores proudly and joyfully.

As Anna and I live in this farm, we realise the traditions and heritage associated with this property.

It reminds me of my roots and creates within me a sense of gratitude and celebration of the mission with my parents lived- work with hands and provide or lend for others!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment