11 November, 2018

Four in ONE


The lilies normally have four flowers in one stem! Usually all the four are in different stages of flowering! 

Yesterday I had a long telephone conversation a friend who keeps in touch regularly. Our conversation was about growing old. He is only in mid fifty, but raised this issue. 

Every time I watch each flower in this bunch whither away after a week of bright existence, I return to ponder on the theme of living! From the conception to our last breath each of is living. But what matters is the 'fullness' of life that we are called to live with!

During the conversation we touched upon many pleasant experiences that brought a new energy within me. We laughed and shared from our hearts. 

Life is for Living and not for lamenting. Our difficult experiences, however harsh, they might appear to be initially are for a purpose. 

The rupture of relationship that I have had with a few administrators in CMC Vellore 18 months ago, looked a distressing experience at that time. Although it is not still resolved mutually, I have felt free of any hurt on account of them and feel emotionally open towards them. But one great gain that came out of that experience is a new consciousness of my calling. Had it not happened I would have continued to be involved in doing what I was doing out of compulsion. I was associating with the administrative responsibility in CMC out of obligation towards few friends! I feel I overdid it without being responsive to the inner promptings.  

The break that happened provided time to recall my calling at this period of my life! I am glad that a new consciousness of the need to summarise life experiences in the personal and professional domains have dawned on me. It is a refreshing experience to be on this journey. 

The Lilies remind me that the experience of fullness of life is a mission worth pursuing! 

The four flowers in a stem remind me of the four dimensions in life: Inward, Outward, Godward, and Friend-ward !

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment