14 November, 2018

The morning puzzle!


It is early morning, Dulcie insists that she walks with me. She then settles down on the parapet and watches me! When I am ready not come into the house, she is reluctant to come in. This look in the photo is that disapproving look.

We have a biscuit tin containing the favourite biscuits of Dulcie and Daffney in the verandah. The moment I pick up the biscuit tin, with utmost care not to make any noise, Dulcie is at the door waiting for her treat! 

Yesterday, while a child was insisting to be in the consulting room, when parents were ready to leave,    mother said, 'do you want a chocolate'?. The child instantly was ready to leave the room!

What is common between both of them! A liking for something that conditions their behaviour!

I have been experimenting with Dulcie whether she can be primed to do what is good for her without any incentives! 

She has a weekly bath. When Anna or I am ready with the shampoo, soap and towels in hand and looks at her, she would be ready to go the bath room! She struggles a bit if the bath takes a longer time. She is most pleased when she is dry! She also knows that she gets  biscuit at the end of it all. So she waits till that is also over, sometimes waiting looking at the biscuit tin ! There are occasions, when  I do not give her the biscuit. She would bark and come after me and go back to the biscuit tin! If I still do not consent, she would keep waiting!

This a window in to understanding behaviour! Behaviour is conditioned by a feed back of pleasure, acknowledgement or recognition!

That is why acknowledging others who offer any acts of kindness is a good practice!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo) 


No comments:

Post a Comment