28 November, 2018

Biography-22 ; People I want to remember-9




Fr Joe Antony, was professor of Communications at Loyola College, Chennai and the editor of a fortnightly, New Leader. He is  an author, composer, retreat leader and a mentor. He is now offering the leadership to his community at a provincial level.


Dear Fr Joe Anotny,

As I have turned seventy, I look back at my life and remember friends who influenced, mentored and cared for me at different seasons in my life. You have been one of those who encouraged and affirmed me in different ways during our stay in Chennai between 1983 and 1997.

Although I have not been in touch with you after we left Chennai to reallocate at CMC Vellore, there was a regular recollection of you and your contributions in our lives every time the New Leader arrived every month. 

I remember meeting you for the first time during the parents meeting at Our Lady’s nursery, where you were also a resource person. Your talk on emotional intelligence struck a cord within me as I too was considering that theme in my work with children and families who have had developmental needs. Since then we jointly conducted the parents meetings  for a few years and had several others opportunities to stay in touch.

A few things come to my mind. Your warm and affectionate attitude touched me. You listened, understood and  reached out to make a difference to my own thoughts and perspectives. Your faith and devotion to God was evident in all that you said and did. You even invited me to write for the New Leader which was a privilege. You came to visit us at ASHIRVAD Child Development Centre at Anna nagar and even participated in our trustees meeting to help us find our way in those early years.

You communicated a sense of thoughtfulness towards others. This was special to me. Every time I met you wanted to know how we were getting along in our work at ASHIRVAD. You knew the demands placed on us by having to listen to families who were going through pain and grief. You sensitively enquired about our wellness and in one sense that in itself was a debriefing experience for Anna and myself.

I was helped by your wide range rof eading habits, writing skills, and musical skills, composing songs, etc. Your journalistic insights gave a new direction for the New Leader, which was one of my favourite monthlies that I depend on for my spiritual nurture. In fact I was helped to see the value of communication in the way you used communication skills in your presentations and writing. Your editorials were both reflective and educative.

Our time of 15 years at Chennai were formative years for Anna and myself in understanding our vocation. I do not think we would have stayed on, in the way we have done for the last thirty seven years in being engaged with children and families  who have had to face disability in their lives, but for some friends like you, who offered support and encouragement to stay on in this vocation.

Thank you Fr Joe for your friendship and ministry to us in different ways.

After retiring from CMC vellore, both of us work in  a Medical college at Kolenchery where I was given another opportunity to start a work for children with special needs. The department we got started at CMC has done well. The work at St Andrew’s church, Chennai  and the Early Learning Centre at Nagpur have flourished and go on supported by the local friends of ASHIRVAD.

Our older son Arpit and family work in  mission hospital at Madhepura, Bihar. Our younger son Anandit and family work at CMC Vellore. We have been blessed with four grand children.

Anna and I keep well and live in  village close by to our work place.

Thank you Fr. Joe for all that you brought to our lives and becoming a blessing to us.

We send you our greetings and love and wish you wellness, health and contentment in your calling!

M.C.Mathew    

No comments:

Post a Comment