28 November, 2018

Biography-22: People I want to remember-6



Drs. Vinod and Priya Abraham, live at CMC  Vellore. They are friends who have been caring and thoughtful towards Anna and me.

Dear Vinod

I want to share briefly how you brought much encouragement to me on different occasions.

Although I did not have many prolonged conversations with you at any time, it is the brief contacts which left with me some deep impressions about your inner goodness.

The earliest one I can recall is what I heard from you about your involvement with the senior citizens in the community at the villages around Bhagayam. That was about fofteen years ago. I was  pleased to sense your compassionate attitude towards senior citizens. The plan and programme you envisaged was indeed original. Although you have had difficulties along the way, you kept that as a mission. I felt enthused by it because it involved taking care of the most disadvantaged in the community.

The second was about what Priya had to go through while seeking for a place at CMC in the dermatology department. There were many difficulties one after the other. You showed considerable resilience and patience in those most difficult circumstances. Although I do not know the details, from the little I know of it,  I was moved to discover your willingness to endure difficulties although you deserved something better

Another instance was when Sarah was made in charge of the LICU, without due process. That was a difficult time for the department and each of you was affected by it. In one conversation, although you expressed your serious concern for the way it was done, I sensed your willingness to overlook it for the larger interest of the institution…. I do not have many examples of this type from what I know of.

As both of your parents were senior faculty members in the same department, people used that to make adverse remarks about you.  I know of some instances  when it had hurt you.

I know from reliable sources that you made a difference in the registrar’s office during your term there. You continue to do that during your involvement in the Alumni office. This was also associated with some controversy related to the former director. You showed a spirit of steadfastness in that situation.

I have often wondered why you were not chosen for more responsibilities in the institution. You deserved lot more than what you have been given in the leadership roles.

I valued your friendship and trust. Even during the recent difficult times I have had to face, you showed concern and understanding in an unusual way. You were a valuable sounding board on different occasions and gave me insights that helped me in the choices I have to make.

I was enriched by your spiritual openness and the godly home you have created as a testimony to others.

Certainly you and Priya have touched me in  a personal way. It was during the retreats, pilgrimage for fellowship, I got to know you personally. I have refreshing memories of conversations and fellowship times that we shared together at that time.

You have touched me in different ways… thank you and you shall remain in my thoughts!

M.C.Mathew




No comments:

Post a Comment