27 November, 2018

Biography-22: People I want to remember-4




Dr Kuruvella Varkey, physician at the Christian Fellowship Hospital is a well known person for his clinical skills, communication skills, and leadership skills.

Dear Dr Kuruvella,
Greetings
In preparation for the seventieth year in my life, I felt an urge within me to express my gratitude to some people who have touched my life in a tangible way. I do this during the lenten season to grow in gratitude. You both have ministered to me in different ways.

The first recollection I have of you, Dr Kuruvella is that of a clinical diagnosis you offered to a child who had purpuric spots, whom I brought to your OP area, while I was working as a junior doctor in 1976 at CFH ODC. The clinical condition of Henoch Schonlien Purpura that you diagnosed, stimulated me to take a greater interest in Paediatrics. Your patient and thoughtful clinical demonstration and explanation helped me to understand the importance of clinical examination.

During the first spell of my stay of few months at ODC at that time,   you welcomed Anna and myself on a few occasionsto your home in the evening for conversation and dinner. Your journey in faith and decision to belong to the fellowship at ODC became a moving story for us to dwell upon in the later years.

We returned to stay at ODC in 1982 for a year while we were waiting to discern the message of our daughter Anita’s arrival and departure! It was during that time we have had more conversations about us staying on at ODC to start a child development centre at CFH. As I was also associated with EMFI at that time, you encouraged me to set up the office of EMFI at CFH for which you offered office space and even secretarial help! I was touched by your generosity. You spent time to introduce to us the prospect of becoming part of the fellowship and support CFH in its focus on cross cultural mission. 

Although, we relocated at Chennai by Nov. 1983, your friendship and kindness were not interrupted.

The third  instance of meaningful engagement was when you were associated with us in the board of ASHIRVAD. There were some decisions of significance which we were able to make during your season of involvement. The decision to start a play school at St Andrew’s church was historic as it grew into  a regular special school supported by the church offering services to about 75 developmentally challenged children. The second decision was to start an Early Learning Centre in Nagpur which is now located in a three storied custom made building, catering to the needs of developmentally challenged children and their families offering a wholistic service. It is now a thriving centre of excellence. To have been able to take these two decisions, at a time when we did not have any promises for financial backing was possible, because you infused confidence in us to trust God and move on! We feel grateful for your transforming presence int board of ASHIRVAD.

Ou lives crossed many times in the intervening years and our common journey in the Life Revision Seminars with Hans and Ago gave us opportunity to stay in fellowship with you. Your devout and serious engagement in the purpose of God was manifest in your life, calling and relationships. I watched your soberness and discerned it as an authentic experience of inwardness and intimacy with God.  This was an encouragement in my search for inner reality.

I remember that I followed you in the boards of management at Asha kIiran, EHA, EMFI and CMC, Vellore. Looking back, I have some treasures of insight from what I heard from others of your style of leading discussions and facilitating decisions. You listened to discern and chose the middle path as much as possible when opinions were divided and facilitated harmony and consensus. These valuable traditions you have left behind were original contributions which you made in defining the governance model in christian organisations. Although I have a sense of having messed up my involvement with CMC in the last four years, I am grateful for the example you left for others to follow, by showing the process suitable for conducting  governing board meetings. I am immensely grateful for your example.

During the time Suni was studying in Chennai we had an opportunity to get a glimpse of your family life! Although you quote Kochemma of having said once, that ‘You live in the ward and take rounds at home’, our impression of your family life is one of you leading by serving others at home. You brought the essentials of christian spirituality to the centre of your home and created a godly home. Anna and I have felt inspired by the way Kochemma has been an anchor to the family in  a self giving way.

Every time I have had an opportunity to meet with you in the recent years, I felt a warmth of concern and felt an encouraged for  which I am grateful.

I recall that we had some difficulties between us, on account of some misunderstanding while you chaired the CMC council. You reached out to me to bring a closure to that. I did not continue as an advisor of the CFH as I felt that I was making some fellowship members uncomfortable with my approach to the future mission of CFH. Even in that context you freed me from any obligation to stay on. I felt overwhelmed by your generous spirit towards me.

As I look back over the last thirty five years since I met you first, I have grown in appreciation and admiration  for your sense of vocation, by how you live, care, communicate and mentor  others.

Thank you for the space you offered to me in your life and for sowing seeds of kindness in my heart1

I am also grateful to you for the hospitality you offered to me at your home on several occasions and the fellowship through conversations.

You lit a lamp in my soul and it was a significant one,

with regards, good wishes and greetings for health, wellness and fullness of life,

M.C.Mathew   

No comments:

Post a Comment