06 June, 2019

Similar and dissimilar !






The two photos are of the same shrub with Rhembutan fruits on the same day.

The first photo shows similarly ripening fruits. The second one shows the dissimilarly ripening fruits. This difference in the same bunches of fruits caught my attention. 

I hear this comment from parents who visite to consult for the developmental needs of their children that their children behave differently. The rule in nature is that there are similarities and dissimilarities.

I do not think that any explanation can fully be sufficient to describe this phenomenon.

I remember a mother telling me with tears, that it was difficult for her to accept the second child as he was a boy against her longing for having a girl. Even after seven years, she still struggles with this dilemma. Just there are genetically predetermined factors which affect the behaviour system of children there can be environmental factors which accentuate the differences between children.

The study of epigenetics is now finding wider acceptance which is a pointer to the reality of the role of the environment on human behaviour. This mother told me how it was difficult for her to feed her son, console him or carry him because of the overwhelming negative reaction she had towards another boy in the family! Children receive the verbal and non-verbal vibes and grow up in response to them.  

I remind myself that the fruit inside is the same in substance and flavour, although the ripening of the fruit takes place at different times. 

The inner self is lovable and responds to love! I struggle with this a lot. When responses are not forthcoming from those with whom I relate according to my expectations, I seem to withdraw! To receive others just as they are is a calling and a long journey worth pursuing to 'become fully human'!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment