21 March, 2021

Rose Bushes of Thirty years or more.




These three rose flowers form three bushes  are the oldest rose plants in our garden, planted by my parents. When they flower Anna and I are reminded of the attention with which my parents created a hedge of flowering plants around our cottage. They laboured and we continue to receive blessings from their efforts. 

They left behind a property around the cottage, which is flourishing even now. 

I have been thinking a lot about this theme, 'What shall we leave behind' when our time to leave would have arrived. Although this question is not to be a preoccupation, it is necessary to answer this question while  live well. 

A mechanic called on us today to get a help. In the conversation what he told us about my parents touched my heart. My mother and father who were teachers at school in the village would have taught for  thirty five years. Recalling them he told me that, 'they were our role models'. They are remembered for who they were. 

This thought of how others receive us might not matter a lot, but it is still a question to consider while we live. Only lives directed in thoughtful ways to be mindful of others would  add to the richness of the community we live in. 

An elderly person in the village where we live cares to visit a least one person a day, who is nearby. He goes to visit them to tell stories which he reads. He told me that he feels better when he knows that he could visit at least one person a day. He has been doing this since his retirement- twenty five years now.  

Live well, but also remain mindful of others. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment