16 March, 2021

A cup lasted thirty seven years.


I dropped a cup today morning which I used for 37 years to drink coffee every morning. It broke into several pieces that it might be difficult to glue it back for use. 

It was then I knew that I was nervous about what was happening at my work place. 

Anna and I had similar cups for coffee in the morning. We bought one dozen of these cups from Poppat Jamal from Chennai when we lived in Chennai form 1983 till 1997. The current one was the last that we were left with. 

It is a history that this cup represents. It was thirty seven years ago we started brewing coffee every morning. Till them we were used to drinking instant coffee. 

Ever since we started brewing coffee, we have different species of roasted beans that we use every morning for our coffee time. Coffee is a ritual at home when Anna and I meet early in the morning to begin the day. We meet in the book room around the round table. We find that time special and sacred. A cup of coffee in silence before we have our conversation time!

Anna has preserved these cups although they are broken in different places. She converted them to grow water plants. 


Now that the whole set is unusable for coffee, we decided to use the cups which CMC produced for its 100th anniversary in 2000, for our coffee time in the morning. 

 So we enter in to another phase of history with CMC coffee cups.

Brokenness is both a physical and spiritual experience. It is real and personal.   

As I watched the pieces of the cup, I felt that with its disappearance from daily use, we now recall its history and feel grateful for the memories associated with our coffee times. 


M.C.Mathew(text and photo. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment