23 March, 2021

Rose apple tree !


This tree of Rose Apple produces fruits at least twice in a year. It is fifty years old! I find seeing this tree full of fruits now. It yields its fruits in its time.

A father referring to his two year old child asked me yesterday, ' Will his convulsions stop and be like other children! Will he grow up and be like others!'. I was disturbed by that question as he has a lesional cause for his epilepsy.  

Of late, I have been made aware of the aspirations of parents and the disappointments with which they live once they know that their child has difficulties which cannot be fully overcome. 

A single mother and the grandmother who came with a child, had multiple congenital anomalies and needed four surgeries during the last three years. This four years old child has few developmental deficits, which can impair the developmental process. 

I found these women at a cross road financially, emotionally and resourcefully! They bore a pain that was heavy on them.

I remembered this rose apple tree following this consultation. It is a fruit giver.

I was overcome by this situation. When Anna and I set out in 1983 to be actively involved with children with special needs, we had no idea of what we would encounter. Now we are shocked and disturbed. Almost every situation has a complexity that is far too much for a family to face!

Amidst the turbulence that I went through at my work place recently, I felt exhausted as needs seemed to overwhelm us. 

But both families that I referred above, were genuine and yet least demanding. They were able to receive what was offered and went back wanting to stay in touch. 

Those who have multiple needs are more gracious and less demanding. That makes it easy for them and for us. 

A tree is a fruit giver! 

That is to be  our mission at work place!

A broken cup bears a pant! Broken people bar the burdens of others better!




M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment