25 March, 2020

Abandoned nest or a memorial !


For over six months I was trying to trace the inhabitants on the nests in this palm tree which is dry. I have not come across any bird or squirrel at any time around this nest. Some birds have a habit of abandoning their nest after nesting and rearing the young ones till they are able to feed themselves and fly about. Owls can also sometimes occupy such nests. So I flashed light couple of times in the night to see if I can get a reflection from the eyes of an owl! I looked for wood packers, parrots and pigeons and I found none. So as of now it looks like an abandoned nest!

However the nest tells the story of its avian occupants sometime or other. 

I write this blog sitting in our book room at home. The oldest book I have in the book room is that  of 1969. Since then I have collected books and continue to do so. 

As I sit here surrounded by the books around me, I have memories of thoughts, ideas, anecdotes, illustrations, personal experiences, etc which authors shared in the books. These books were a large influence in my formation. 

The last four decades of my life gave me lessons in living and introduced to em to the art of living and a way of living. Ther have been many acts of commissions and omission...I feel like this old tree which provided some nesting places for others. As I watch them live with a calling and mission in different parts of the world and in India, I feel that all the efforts to walk with them were indeed fruitful experiences in my life!  

To be a refuge to others is a calling in life. When our time is over, what we leave behind is people whom we accompanied during their life's journey!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)



No comments:

Post a Comment