29 March, 2020

A coffee habit !





Anna and I have had freshly brewed coffee in the morning for thirty years now. One ritual I looked forward to, every morning was to grind the coffee seeds and prepare filter coffee.  

Since my by-pass heart surgery six years ago, I have had an irregular heart rate. The irregularity could not be managed by drugs. Dr Oommen George, cardiologist in my meeting with him six months ago suggested that I wean myself off coffee if possible. I continued brewing coffee for Anna, while I changed to tea since then. For two months now, since then my hear rate has decreased and is regular with only a few exceptions. I would have had two or three cups of coffee every daytime then! Now I realise that it was toxic to my heart after the surgery. 

Changing a habit is not easy. Now I have one or two cups of tea every day and I manage well. I miss the flavour of coffee, but I still have the aroma of coffee every day while preparing it for Anna. 

At one stage I had ten different varieties of coffee seeds including decaffeinated seeds. That was special, because we could brew coffee of our choice each day!

So it is farewell to coffee except when someone serves coffee without checking with me, while visiting a home!

Yes, we can change habits if we feel the need for it!

M.C.Mathew (Text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment