21 August, 2018

Then and now!

Dr Solomon Chellaiah, an alumnus of CMC Vellore was posted to a mission hospital at Gadak, in Karnataka to spend two years to fulfil his sponsorship obligation for his undergraduate studies. Later he finished his post graduate training in internal medicine. I heard him speak about his life long service in that hospital during the alumni association meetings at CMC Vellore.

What moved me was his sense of humour while talking about all the difficulties he has had to face to develop the hospital to a secondary care hospital with facilities for dialysis and other specialty services. 

The mission hospitals have had a difficult season due to shortage of medical professionals. When one hears stories of people who stayed on in mission hospitals for their life time of service, I am inspired by the sense of call and dedication which make all the difference!

Since I heard this story, I spoke to about ten senior professionals working in mission hospitals in different parts of India. I felt moved to explore their stories. They live their calling!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment