25 August, 2018

Flying and resting!




During the half an hour I followed this  butterfly in our garden (Today is a holiday, so it was possible) I found its rhythm of flying and resting.  

It flies for a while and rests for an equal or more time! In between it has its feed of honey!

Life is an ensemble of multiple activities. 

What is often forgotten is a enlarged view of rest!

We sometimes equate rest to sleep. Sleeps provides rest physically and mentally! However rest transcends beyond sleep. Rest is an inward attitude of orienting our lives to live soberly, mindfully and consciously. 

It leads us to live above the turbulence of the circumstances. There is an inner composure of adjusting to life events without being overwhelmed by the turmoil they might bring!

I feel intensely when there is a loss or an unexpected event. I got up to notice today that the washing machine was leaking with water on the floor! It took a while for me to find the block to undo the obstruction. In that an hour or so, what was on my mind was the effort it would take to find the mechanic and not being able to use the machine till it was mended. I was already in a state of anxiety! I wish I was able to go through this exercise restfully, doing what I can and trusting to find the help! I have not arrived at such a disposition of inner attitude as yet!  

Rest is all about this inner attitude! Rest is a reflection of inner freedom to live and process the circumstances quietly and confidently!

It is this, 'Rest', I feel that  Jesus of Nazareth referred to when He said, 'Come to me all those who are weary...I will give your rest" !

M. C.Mathew ( text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment