16 September, 2022

The one and many!



 The contrast between the single flower and confluence of flowers kept returning to me the whole day. 

When I left home, I remember noticing the rose flower which was in our walkway. At work place I happened to visit the conference hall where the stage was getting decorated for the hospital day gathering. 

The confluence of flowers aroused a consciousness about the richness in diversity when brought together form an ensemble. For about two months the Chaplaincy department was attempting to organise different functions to prepare for the hospital day celebration. Many people came together during the events. I felt encouraged when I watched some activities where the staff appeared jubilant. I participated in the photo exhibition with an entry on the theme 'healing touch'.

This season of two months when people came together to remember the hospital day, turned out to be an occasion of celebration and festivity. 

It is when we value others we become part of them. 

To be part of others is often a journey that only few take in a society where individualism dominates. 

I felt encouraged by a narration of a new staff who attended most of the hospital events deliberately to get a sense of the place and people. His comment was, 'I felt good that I was in a place where people of diverse abilities and gifts come together'. 

It is when we can see the good in others we become drawn towards the collective. For most of us, the self absorption is an hindrance to see the good in others. 

To receive ourselves as those, whose fullness and enlargement are made possible by growing in a sense of belonging to the collective, is an orientation that we need to cultivate within.

During the last ten years, I keep wondering whether I made good enough effort to belong the collective! Or have I withdrawn to be myself!

How do I welcome others! 

That is where it starts! If I can welcome and offer to relate others warmly with no preconditions, then the journey to become part of the collective has begun!

The collective is richer because the individuals bring their gift of  self giving!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment