28 September, 2022

A fly rests on the Flower!






I was watching the sunset with the sun rays fading away while the dusk was setting in. When the sun had set and with the twilight still left,  I noticed a fly approaching the rose flower in our courtyard. It hovered over the flower and settled on the it! Was that its night halt!

A fly small and insignificant as it might be, found its resting place for the night!

In fact I was carrying a burden of some unfinished work- writing medical reports of children, pending writing projects, getting into the digital mode at work, etc. I have recently got up in the nights with the thoughts of pending work. 

I was inspired by the stillness that set in at dusk. The chattering of the birds that create a cacophony at dusk was settling down to bring the stillness of this transition time. The brilliance of the horizon in the sky gave way to darkness. The trees and the bushes appeared merged with darkness. Th nature had clothed itself in the bliss of darkness and quietude. 

Watching this drama of transition, I too felt invited to let the burdens drop. I carry them only to feel heavy and end up having interrupted sleep. 

My thoughts went back to Isaiah, chapter 11, when the prophet spoke of what was to come: 'And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, and the Leopard will lie down with the kid, and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little boy will lead them (v 6). A vision of contradictions!

This came home to me that freedom from strife and stress was the substance of the vision of Isaiah. 

Yes, I live with the longing for peace amidst the burdens that remain within. To find peace inspite of the burdens is the calling. 

The twilight seasons in our life is an occasion to seek and find peace. The twilight time is a bright time or a transition time. The twilight can lead to the morning light or the darkness of night. 

In both instances the twilight is a resourceful time in one's life. Whether the twilight precedes the brilliance of the morning or the darkness of night, contradictions can stay within us- longing for peace but evasive because of the burdens we carry! The day is given to us to work through our contradictions to prepare for peace to embrace us in the darkness of the night. We consciously rest at night, hoping for peace promised in the vision of Isaiah.   

The night is a symbol of a way of living, when our striving shall cease and hope shall conquer our spirit! 

The fly settling in the embrace of the rose flower became a symbol to me as the darkness covered even the sight of the fly! The flower alone was visible in the darkness. 

I wish this imagery stays with me. Even in an intense darkness, the fly rests on the flower!

That was what, Jesus of Nazareth said, 'Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest' (Matthew:11.28)!

I stepped back to our cottage carrying the imagery of a fly resting on the flower! That was a rest providing vision for the night!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment