10 September, 2022

Flowers are gifts given to us!





The first photo in this blog is that a Torania plant whose flowers last for a day or two. The last photo is that of an Ixora plant, whose flowers normally last for a month or more. The other flowers  have an in between life span. 

A garden is place where we encounter this reality. Whether the flowers last for a day or fade away in a day, the flowers represent the gift a plant brings. The plants continue giving their gifts during their life time. 

This sight turned my attention inward!

What I am and what I do- are they gifts to others! 

The being and doing are the means of sharing the gift of mindfulness with others!

I returned from a visit to the garden yesterday with this question, 'how much of my being becomes a gift to others'!

At the end of the day, I asked the question again!

A conversation with a family during the day returned to me. There were two sets of grandparents who visited me yesterday with their grandchildren. The parents of both children are working overseas and children are under the care of the grandparents. 

One grandmother who takes care of her grandson indicated the tiredness that is setting in, on account of having to attend to the special needs of her grandson. She spoke about her husband who is also needing attention. She herself has arthritis which restricts her mobility. While narrating her story, she paused for a moment and said, 'we can be  small gift to our grandson'! A grandmother living with the vocation of wanting to be a gift!

While recollecting this conversation it occurred to me that it is because of many around us who carry this vocation, we feel cared for!

A post graduate student left a book mark in the children's register when she left us after one month. The caption, read, 'Inspiration'! Every time I use the register to enter the details of a child, I feel grateful for her to have left a thoughtful gift! A small act of considerable encouragement!

To be a gift to others is a vocation! 

Jesus of Nazareth once told his companions, 'I am among you as one who serves'. 

To serve is a  gift of love! 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)










No comments:

Post a Comment