01 September, 2022

On a rainy day!




This Green Imperial Pigeon found its hiding place in the thick foliage when it was raining. Looking out for birds in trees during rain, which have a canopy of cover with dense foliage can be fruitful. I found the pigeon looking in to the camera and felt surprised that it got a sense of the action from a distance about 100 meters.  

What occupied my attention was its elegant look not showing any sign of getting soaked in the rain. Obviously it has a protective cover on its feathers. 

What is my protection from getting affected by difficult situations!

It was ten years ago, I needed a heart surgery after which I lived well. Since then, there were many significant happenings in life which I celebrate as 'given' experiences beyond my expectation. With tinnitus and early signs of hearing loss setting in now, I need another protective layer of rest and composure!

Yesterday, the doctor who is attending to my needs mentioned that, that this will not affect the quality of your life if you receive it as a natural process of body changes with age. To be able to receive the body with its changes and giving attention to adjust to it will be the stewardship that is needed at such times. 

I usually have one cup of freshly brewed coffee in the morning, which has been a ritual that Anna and I have practised in the morning at home for thirty years. Now I shall brew the coffee for Anna but has to give up coffee as a protection to keep tinnitus under control. Since skipping coffee for a few days now, there is a sense of loss. 

To give to my body diligent attention is something that has been instilled in me by the cardiologist since my surgery. Our body is a gift given to us. It is an earthen treasure within which God of love abides. In fact St Paul raised a question, 'Know you not that your body is the temple of God'?

The pigeon in the picture above has an aesthetic body. It is its second nature to stay that way. To treasure our body by eating just enough, exercising to protect from the harms of stressful living and sleeping enough to allow the recovery from the after effects of work stress, etc are the measures of protection that we owe unto ourselves. 

We receive back from what we sow. I came back after the consultation yesterday with some encouragement. The doctor had said that some have tinnitus much earlier in life. I felt grateful and encouraged by what I heard. To live thankfully and not regretfully is another orientation that I need for myself! That is another journey ahead!

What is life in all its fullness, till I can learn to receive what is given and find a purpose to stay grateful and be self giving!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment