30 June, 2023

On the eve of retirement!



Two trainee doctors who had a short time in the department where I work, came calling to share their thoughts and experiences of the time they spent in the department, hearing that I was due to retire today! It surprised me beyond measure! It was late in the evening, at the end of a day of consultations. There were conversations of farewell with parents, some of which were difficult as it was a closure of ten years of association with some families. 

Their visit lifted my spirit. They talked about the experiences they had and memories they carry with them. I felt overwhelmed by their thoughtfulness to share good wishes and bring greetings. How refreshing it is when we receive such warm expressions of kindness!

I had another moving occasion yesterday of meeting with colleagues in the department, when they took time to recollect the events and happenings of the last ten years. They covered me with their grateful memories. 

Anna and I felt that we needed to hand over furniture, child development equipment, toys and books  that we used in the department, owned by ASHIRVAD to be formally handed over to MOSC Medical College inventory, which was also done yesterday. I was able to bring back home, some furniture which had a symbolic meaning associated with them. 

I felt that the day was full of recollections of memories that went back to forty years, when Anna and I started with ASHIRVAD  Child Development Centre at Chennai on November 14, 1983. 


I leave today after ten years at MOSC Medical College, after having been engaged in beginning the Child Development service, the fourth of such experiences in the last forty years!

I feel full and content from what I witnessed over the over the last ten years. 

The families and children showed me the way to develop services which were family friendly  and the professional colleagues made a formative contribution to my understanding of the new frontier in this specialty! 

I bow in gratitude before all who made this journey fulfilling and purposeful!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment