07 June, 2023

A Butterfly way!




I watched this butterfly move from one flower to another in the bush of wild flowers on the wayside! It moved effortlessly and elegantly from one flower to another. 

Sometimes we receive important lessons in life when we observe ordinary things around us. 

I watched this on a day,  when I was on my way to the hospital, after I had decided that my time to retire from daily work at the hospital has come! It would correspond with the end of my current contract at the end of June 2023. That was an occasion, when I had some existential questions lingering in my mind! When one comes to the end of service with no retirement benefits, the existential questions surface disturbing the peace that one would need at such a time. 

The butterfly receives nectar each day. It needs to arrive where a flower is blooming. Its source is inexhaustible. Even during the summer months, there are these wild flowers on the road side. 

In the process, the butterfly might help in pollinating flowers, although it is the honey bees which pollinates the flowers naturally. 

I felt surprised how the butterflies live feeding on, for which it does not  toil ! This universal Grace of the Creator God is,  what is at work when we look at events in our environment. 

It occurred to me that humans have turned out to be consumers of what they see or hear or find others possessing!

Let me refer to the wireless charger for a mobile phone. It has some advantages. One is tempted to get one although, the mobile phone normally comes with its own charger,  for which one has already paid while buying the phone. The convenience and ease of use would tempt us to acquire one wireless charger, because we get carried away by the impressive advertisements highlighting its advantages. That is how we become a consumer of what is presented to us, when its is not a need, but only an additional comfort! 

The solar lighting is another example of the consumer culture. The advertising companies emotionally appeal to us about turning solar. I know of some who installed solar lights in places they would not have had lights especially in the garden. Few gardeners told me that the plants need darkness at night as part of its restoring function from the day. By installing solar lights which shine through the night, we disturb the circadian rhythm of night and darkness which is a physiological basis of functioning of different species. 

As we have increased our consumeristic needs, humans seek for more resources to live! They work harder and longer to satisfy their acquisitive intent! 

Watching the butterfly, I felt that I bring upon myself the burden of living by wanting more and finding pleasure in possessing. 

The message of the butterfly to me on this occasion was: 'Think of how much we are given. Why then be anxious about the uncertainty about the existential needs'!

Receiving and giving are the natural habits that we find in nature!

A mother,  who took a long leave of absence from her professional work,  ever since she knew that her son was needing attention, to advance in his social and communication needs, told me that she was glad to be available for her son. This is giving! She gave herself that she could help her son to become what he could!

Giving is enabling. Giving is therefore is not loosing. Receiving makes us grateful and graceful!

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment