04 June, 2023

On a Sunday Morning !







I returned today to look for the sights in the garden after a break of two months. It is the  longest time I was absent from the garden since we began living gin our cottage here. One month because Anna and I were away visiting our family. The other month because of long hours of work!

How refreshing it was to be present among birds, dragonfly, squirrel, flowers and fruits who received me with the warmth that I missed for a while!

So much happen around our cottage each day! The flight movements of birds and the sights of different seasons in the life of the plants and trees make the garden vibrant and refreshing to look at. 

For a month, our garden did not yield enough flowers. Although flowers are less in the summer months, it was sane time there were not flowers for our vase at home. I normally have a vase of flowers from our garden,  at my work place. But I do not find enough for the vases at home! 

But there are enough fruits for us and the birds in the garden, which make this season special. Fruits in Summer!

It gave me another opportunity to think about the giving,  the trees practice. They give shades to the birds during the day and shelter at night. They give fruits in summer inspite of heat, dry soil and high humidity! They thrive in adversity and become fruitful for others. 

That is a theme that I shall dwell on during the week!

As we stay shocked over loss of human lives and  many injured in the train accident in Orissa two days ago, the news is trickling in about the failure of practicing high standards of safety measures on signalling,  track maintenance, integrated electronic measures etc. The attention got distracted towards running some luxury trains! This became a recent priority in the railways. 

When our attention turns away from the wellness of others, we fail to be stewards of those committed to our care. I wish the political leadership in this country would think of the welfare of others, rather than engage in doing things,  which shall bring returns to pursue their political ambitions!

The sights in our garden this morning reminded me of the nature of giving rich in nature: Birds sing for us; flowers give nectar and make garden beautiful, Trees give shade, shelter and fruits! 

Humans are to be neighbours to each other!  

Do I have to strain myself to smile to greet others or is it spontaneous outflow from within! 

That is the test for measuring the 'giving' orientation!


M.C.Mathew (text and photo)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment