08 June, 2023

The life of flowers!








What is common with flowers is the abundance they bring of colour and beauty. And yet they fade away after a short while and are often not remembered. 

I revisited some files of flowers I have since  the time I got interested in photographing them. I was able to collect the location of those flowers. 

What brought home during this recollection time was the memory of the elegant and fragrant presence wherever they were located. They brightened the ambience of the space, where they were present. 

I met with a philanthropist yesterday, who generously supported the work I am involved in currently, during the COVID time, when the income of the department declined and needed external support to sustain it! In response to the gratitude I expressed, he said: 'You were able to do what was possible. Let that be your encouragement'! Those words moved me. He remembered to recall the small things which made a difference. 

In the life of an institution of 52 years, my presence and work for ten years is a small component of the many things happening in the life of an institution. Yet, from what I heard yesterday, the work was viewed as an indication of how much more we can do to support children when they are developmentally disadvantaged! 

Flowers have a short life! And yet, during their short life time, they give nectar to bees, ants, butterflies, etc. 

We are called to be present in our work place to be in a similar giving role!

I am not sure whether we acknowledge the presence of flowers in our garden by visiting and admiring them! I do it only occasionally. The flowers live their full lives independent of what they receive in acknowledgement.  

A professional who was leaving the institution after seven years of  establishing a department, felt that his time to move on had come! He had a diversity of skills which he exercised well during this time. When he came to meet me to take leave, I felt his genuine regards for all that was  good ! He carried a spirit of freedom while moving on! 

The time we spend in our work place, if can be directed towards bringing benefits to others, we would be like flowers who are there for others!



Let me offer this vase of flowers to all those who contributed to make the work place where I am now, a pleasant and delightful experience- children and families, about thirty professionals who worked at different times, the office and domestic staff, Friends and well wisher, the leadership of the institution, Synthite Industries and ASHIRVAD for generous gifts....!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment