20 June, 2023

Meeting a cat !




During the morning walk, I met a cat who stood still seeing me. I too paused seeing the intense look of the cat! The second photo was when I moved closer to the cat. The cat stood motionless looking at my move. Before I could move any closer, it slowly crossed my path and moved to the side of the road to walk ahead of me!

The stillness of the cat captured my attention. I feel that the cat was surprised to see someone on its way and needed time to process its next move! It did not look back. It went on its way!

What do I do when I face the most unexpected moment during the course of a day! The first response is a shock or a surprise! It is after that emotional awareness, the mind can process the next step. 

Every time I listen to an experience of a family, who faces unresolved questions in their lives about the next step concerning their child, who is neuro-developmentally challenged,  I come across this initial upheaval in their lives. I feel that most of them stay in that state without reasoning out the next step ahead of them. They prolong their agony without looking at options and steps that can become easier for them or for the child. 

The inward processing to take the next step based on the options open before them, is a vital step to find another way, than what they anticipated for their child.  

The cat had a wide road ahead of it. It decided to move to the side of the road and proceed, which is what it chose after the initial stillness!

I find many families staying frozen without moving on! When I came across one such instance recently, I wondered whether that family abandoned thier choice to the professionals,  who even suggested that a stem cell therapy is an option! This expensive mode of treatment which some families undertook, left them debt trapped with no recovery for their children. I recall a few such instances in the recent years. I wonder how professionals can recommend such a procedure with neither ethics or evidence favouring such an intervention. 

This cat had a lesson for me! The choice is always before me! When confronted or faced with a harsh reality, what is ideal is to move on without staying to resist or fight! There are larger issues worth pursuing than the one that seems to be the immediate in front of me. It was by  choosing to move to the side of the road, the cat found its path to proceed and avoided any threat from me!

In a strife driven world, letting easy go is not easy!  But in so doing, the road ahead opens up to be wider and friendlier! 


M.C.Mathew (text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment