21 June, 2023

The staying skill!



Every morning I go to open the gate for the day, what greets me is the design on the grills created by water drops hanging from each bar.  Th gate has an ornamental appearance when the morning sun falls on the water drops. I have not been able to capture that spectacular sight through my camera lens as yet. I have been at  it for a few weeks now. It looks like a simple skill, but with only little skill in physics of light and camera programming, I am not surprised that I have to stay hoping to capture it one day. 

What fascinates me is, how simple things around us, which go often unnoticed have something to speak to us. Water drops stay longer on the iron bars as they do not sway in the wind. The rough surface of iron rods give a hanging drop of water, a surface to hold on!

I find it hard to stay hanging on, when situation gets tough going ! In the recent years it has been better!

The tenacity to stay on springs from inner strength and resolve. Peter, one  of the disciples of Jesus of Nazareth did not show that tenacity when a servant  identified him to be follower of Jesu. Peter's denial of it, three times is most embarrassing, to say the least , as Peter was thought to be like a rock in faith. The environment around us can unsettle and displace us emotionally and effectively!

He regretted afterwards and returned to be with Jesus after His resurrection. 

I wish each of us can hold on and be present to do the little we can do, rather than fall away while provoked or threatened. 

The Naga community at Manipur is currently keeping a vigil around their homes and institutions, ever since some people have been on the rampage, burning houses and church related  buildings. 

I remember how health care professionals stayed on  to give care for COVID affected patients inspite of inconveniences and prolonged hours of work!

Every day, the sight of the water drops hanging on the bars of the gate, reminds me of one's mission life. To stay on, where we are placed and be present to make a difference! 

I heard a professional telling me that job hunting is the most natural thing for young professionals as they are looking for something better all the time. They are all the time in between jobs, making the average time of staying in one work place less than three years. 

The staying power is, what makes us to be witnesses to an altruistic spirit and calling, needed in  the practice of medicine!


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)





No comments:

Post a Comment