09 May, 2020

What delayed me at work yesterday!





I was late by half hour at work yesterday! I does happen now and then because I get distracted by sights along the way of 25 kilometres to reach the hospital. 

What distracted me was the field on one side with is just a open space and many cattle Egrets, although cattle was no where to be seen. These are birds who are normal noticed near to where cattle graze. 

This field is not a common place for cattle as some  plants which grow wildly do not suit cows.  

I was taken a back by the graceful movements of these Egrets, slowly, moving the body and neck like a ballet dancer slowly and elegantly and stopping in between to catch a grass hopper or so!

Their body complexion of orange-buff head, neck, and plumage fo the back give these birds a distinct  appearance. 

I have noticed them on many occasions near cattle, but watching them find their feed without the usual help of cattle, which disturb the grasshoppers and flies, giving the Egret an opportunity to catch them was interesting. 

They are peaceful birds with giving space for other birds. 

I found this stop, the third today on my to work, the other two to speak to the migrant workers walking to work, gave me a restful feeling. 

I was going to work watching the breadfruit tree in our garden fallen on the ground, following the storm the previous day. The wood cutter was slicing the branches when I left home.




Anna I had planted the sapling seven years ago, when we arrives to stay here and it had grown to produce an abundant harvest this year. The fruits gathered from the fallen tree was 150 kilos! All of our neighbours and other friends could gather the fruits.

A tree also woeful need farewell. It does create within us a void because many memories are associated with this tree. The fruit when cooked is a splendid vegetable in taste and texture. 

The cattle Egret brought some consolation and I needed it. I was bit out of sorts over the lost tree when I left home!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment