13 May, 2020

Living protected!


Ants live protected in nests made of leaves. They are insulated well that rain and wind do not disturb them. I noticed these nest in the mango tree next to the student's canteen, where I park the car.

Anna reminded me of the road traffic accident that occurred on 12 May, 1982. I was riding pillion on a scooter. A police officer in his bullet motor bike lost control and crossing the road to the opposite side, came and hit on my right knee. I had multiple fractures and needed hospitalisation in CMC Vellore for three months. There were serious concerns whether I would have a functional knee following the interarticular fracture. I feel grateful that I feel well to do all the usual activities even after 38 years. The Orthopaedic surgeon Prof Selvapandian had warned me of a fixed knee with restriction of full range of movements. I was treated on traction as the joint was swollen and casting was difficult. The interarticular aspiration showed a bleeding knee joint. 

On my back home, yesterday I felt that the car was swaying to one side. I stopped to look at the tyres. The front let side tyre had a vertical slit and air was leaking. It was drizzling. I managed to change the tyre. A migrant worker, who was returning after a day's work volunteered to help me. I felt touched by this insistence to help. 

I went to the tyre repair shop to get the tyre mended. It could not me mended as the vertical slit was longer than 3 inches. I had replaced the old tyres with new ones four months back. When I went to the shop from where I purchased the present tyres to get a new one, they offered me a large discount and replaced the damaged  tyre. The shop manager wondered whether there was any unnatural cause fo this type of damage to the tyre! 

What comforted me was their comment that normally when such a slit occurs abruptly, the car can sway to one side which would be difficult to control. They told me that I escaped from an accident. 

So on 12th May, 2020, 38 years after the earlier accident, I was saved from another one yesterday 

That is when the sight of the ants living protected in the mango tree flashed back in my mind. They insulate themselves in tier nest.

I felt protected yesterday as I was going slow.I felt an instinct to stop the car when there was a suspicion of car sliding to one side. 

It was on 12 th September, 2023, I was taken for by-pass surgery for blocked arteries fo the heart.  I felt a chest discomfort one week prior to that, while running on a railway platform to get in to the train. At the end of that journey, while alighting form the train, I had a similar experiences. The cardiologist told me that I escaped a heart attack. The angiogram had shown the blocked arteries with collaterals. 

Having driven on road for 5 lakh kilometres in thirty five years, there were three accidents. Except for damage for car, we were protected. 

12 the May, 2020- a special day of recollecting the stories of protection. 

Life flows from one day to the other. It is only when something unusual happens, we stop to reflect and review. 

One observation that returned to my memory during the recollection of some events in life, is the people who were present to help on such occasions. The migrant worker, Suhas who came to help me yesterday forced himself to help, although I was reluctant as he was retiring after a day's work. He deserved, I thought a cup of tea and snacks and not another job to do. 

I remembered some people who were most helpful on all the occasions Anna and I needed help.

We are surrounded by a protecting presence of strangers and friends, who care. This is a refreshing message off hope and assurance. 

M.C.Mathew (text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment