28 May, 2020

A journey back !


Shantha working in Developmental Paediatrics and Chill Neurology brought me this collection of serving spoons made of coconut shell. My memory instantly went back to my childhood, when all the  cooking and serving were done by these spoons made of coconut shell. By the time I went to college, they got replaced by aluminium and later stainless steel spoons. I was seeing these spoons after about forty years. 

A neighbour of Shantha makes these for special purposes. I was glad for her to have brought this collection to me. 

It takes a lot of practice to make it, because it involves shaping the shell, cutting and smoothening the edges, attaching a neatly prepared handle form bamboo, etc. The coconut shells are normally used as firewood in many homes if they still have a fire place at home. I have seen coconut emporiums, where the shell is made in to boxes with a lid to keep small things like paper clips, pins, buttons, etc. Such boxes are used as decorative items on display in show cases. 

What fascinated me is that I can return to use these spoons at home and relive the history of cooking which I watched my grandmothers and mother did in their kitchens. Another memorial to lives that are close to me. 

Let me pay my tribute to this craftsman who creates a use for the coconut shell in the kitchen. Anything we use to cook a meal becomes part of us. So this craftsman also becomes part of our consciousness. He makes his living in his house, in a village, who might not know all about the memories he brings into our midst through the creations he makes! I feel grateful that there are people like this in our midst who keeps alive our memories!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment