02 April, 2020

Little Cormorant !







I noticed a dark and bulky mass on a coconut palm leaf at a distance of about 200 meters and wondered it it was a bird or a ball of dry leaves. It was only after looking through the telephoto lens, it occurred to me that it might be a migrant duck.

Its wings were spread and resting on the palm leaves; then the only the left wing was spread out. Except for movement of the neck, its body was motionless. Th morning sun had made the body shine. Th plumage had a design and its bill looked sharply hooked at the tip. The head looked bare except a  thin crest of feather above the bill on the forehead. The long neck and the widespread wings stood out.   

Although the visibility was restricted because of the palm leaves and I could not go beyond the compound wall as there was no access to go near, I stayed on to watch whatever I could! Its span of wings was wide and was a sight to watch it take off to fly away. 

I checked with Salim Ali's, The book of Indian Birds, and it seems to fit in with the photo and description of a Little Cormorant. It is found in South and North India. I would have expected a white crest at the back, but it was missing! It thrives on fish and is a diver and deep water swimmer. When satiated, it perches on a rock or tree and stretches its wings to dry them.  

It was the first time I spotted a Cormorant in our garden. 

There are many silent movements around our homes and in the garden. When we look for them we would come across some rare sights!

Bird sighting is a a hobby for many. I am extremely limited in my knowledge of them!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




No comments:

Post a Comment