24 April, 2020

Remembering Friends-4


Dear Durai,

Greetings.

I took a decision to write to all friends who have been supportive and thoughtful, since the time I turned seventy years. I have some pleasant memories of my association with you since I first met you in CMC. It was at the Thursday Fellowship, I think that I first heard you speak in a simple and effective way from the Scripture. I remember meeting you a few times in the corridors and exchanging greetings. During the term of Office of Dr Suranjan, I remember meeting with you a few times in your office at the directorate. I recall those conversations because you carried a concern for the staff who did not receive enough attention or had many needs. You sounded concerned about their welfare and wanted to help them to get them out of their debt or alcohol dependence. 

During difficult times in CMC, you sensed the pulse of the staff and brought in feedback that was valuable. I remember hearing from Dr George Chandy about the healthy influence you bring to the staff because of your personal concern for them. 

I was encouraged by your interest to study the Scripture and develop your skills of exegesis. You sing and preach and strike a chord with the listener. You speak with clarity and your proficiency in language helps you to make it personal and appealing. You have a pastoral heart and feel for people because you resonate with the love of God in your life. Your skills of leadership are widely known. At Haggai circles you are highly regarded. You have influenced the St John’s congregation in a significant way through your pulpit ministry.

During my recent term in the council, I turned to you on several occasions for clarification, counsel and input. You cared to listen and bring encouragements. Your insight was most valuable on certain occasions. I knew that you kept confidentiality and esteemed situations with due regard. There were some matters which were critical for CMC. In those occasions you reflected on the issues with considerable understanding and shared your thoughts in a discerning way. During the difficult times before I left the council, I found your thoughts most valuable. I have regrets for the events during that time. 

You too had difficult times, about which you referred to in your conversations with me. I realize the tolerance and patience with which you endured such times.  Even when some relationships got strained you kept your spirit high and stayed open before God to lead you on. You did not get trapped or way laid by events that happened. You turned them to become opportunities. 

Every time I hear you speak like the one I heard from the video clipping you sent to me of your Good Friday message at St John's church, Vellore, I sense the gift of communication you are blessed with. May this gift grow within you and become a means of grace to others.  

You cared to keep in touch with me even now and every time I hear from you or about you, I rejoice over God’s presence and purpose in your life. I remain grateful for your kindness and regards. May God give you the gift of His presence each day! 

You have long years ahead of you in CMC and widely as a minister at large to bring God's good news of peace and love. May you be blessed with discerning spirit to exercise your gifts during this season when people live fearfully due to COVID19.

My warm regards to the family. You remain in my thoughts, 

M.C.Mathew  19.4.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment