14 October, 2020

Amidst the wind!





 



While the wind was blowing strong and threatening to rain, I heard a bird song at a distance from  a neem tree. I noticed this bird perched securely.

When the wind became stronger and the twig on which it was perched kept swaying, it moved to a larger branch to hold on to! Till it flew away, I noticed it safely perched in spite of the wind!

It is a bird not longer than ten cms and weighing only a couple of hundred grams. The wind could not carry it away, because it could hold on with its powerful paws.

How do we hold on to in difficult or hostile circumstances! It was a question that was asked by a younger colleague yesterday! I have found interior quietness in preparation for silent prayer after reading a passage from the Bible, a comforting way to stay anchored. 

The bird was on a slender branch, but it moved on to a stronger branch when the wind became stronger. We move to anchor ourselves for safe passage amidst stormy scenes in life, by returning to our inner being in prayer, where God is waiting for us to return to make His presence known to us.  

This bird was a messenger to me on last Sunday and became a symbol of hope ! 

Let me quote form a hymn by George Matheson, 'Make me a captive Lord':

My heart is weak and poor

Until it Master find;

It has no spring of action sure

It varies with the wind.

It cannot freely move,

Till Thou has wrought its chain;

Enslave it with Thy matchless love,

And deathless it shall reign.


My power is faint and low

Till I have learned to serve;

It wants the needed fire to glow,

It wants the breeze to nerve;

It cannot drive the world,

Until itself drive;

Its flag can only be unfurled

When Thou shalt breathe from heaven.'


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)




  


No comments:

Post a Comment