14 October, 2020

Three Flowers!


Out of the tree flowers, one is completely closed, another about to open and the third fallen! This is the natural history of flowers. Most flowers would become fruits and a few would fall off! 

In conversation with a younger colleague yesterday, I was fascinated by the insights that person carries about life and  work. I did souk discouraged by the prolonged uncertainty that makes any plan tentative, in view of the surge in the COVID 19 pandemic. But what came out of the discussion was the list of opportunities which exist even  in such situation.

Have been offering only on-line consultation for children and families for the last three months. One family having waited for three months for a physical consultation, appeared on-line yesterday and suggested, 'What can you do to guide us even in this difficult situation'!

That is when I felt lifted in spirit! I can stay looking at the fallen flower or keep my focus on the remaining two flowers and stay I hope thinking and exploring all the opportunities which are still possible. 

A child with hemiplegia showed me on-line all the exercises he can do with his weaker side. He did make good progress in the last six weeks since the last on-line consultations. He spoke to me in good word formation which was difficult earlier. He used the opportunities and did not stay, 'fallen'!

I cannot thank enough the families and children who make me feel charged to continue! In thirty eight years of involvement with children, it is the first time, direct contact with them is not possible! There is a learning opportunity in this experience, according to colleague who called yesterday from Bangalore. 

Life is inviting us to celebrate the prospect ahead!

Even day I go to work for the last six months, I have gone alone as Anna was made to work from home as medical students are at home on on-line learning. Think of the state of affairs the medical students who are denied of the clinical bedside learning! I wonder why on-line clinics are denied to them! I took up the matter for discussion with other colleagues since we started in our department on-line clinical discussions. 

We ought to turn this 'desert experience' to lead us into many alternatives rather than stay too long waiting the earlier normalcy to return!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment