17 October, 2022

At the Edge!



As I watched this Myna perched at the edge of a dry stem, I felt rather curious. I have pictures of sun birds, Magpie robins, and other mynas perched in a similar way. May be it is their way to remain flight ready. 

I ponder on this behaviour in humans. Choosing an edgy position or an extreme position or being dogmatic without consideration! My behaviour is expected to make others comfortable.  My convictions influence my behaviour. But as we live in our families,  relate at work places and socially interact with others, it is good to consider how my behaviour  affects others. 

I have applied this to myself during the weekly audit! 

How much does my behaviour contribute to the wellness of others! If I am seen to be dogmatic or touchy, it inconveniences others and makes relationships turn sour. 

If a conviction makes me take a position different from that of others, it still can be stated or expressed with moderation concession towards others.

I picked up this message from a family whose son was agitated and running around in the arrival hall. The family took him away to the car, parked at a short distance from the building. When his turn to be examined came, the family asked if I could see him in the car. I felt strange about the request. But I did go to the car to meet him. It was when I saw him, I realised how composed he was in the car with his toys around, different from what he appeared about an hour back in the arrival hall. 

It was a message to me that a child can be observed even in a car and not only in a formal consultation room.  It was the first time this happened in the ten years that I was involved in the department. 

I was challenged if I would move from my usual pattern to a different pattern. To condition our behaviour to make it easy for others would be a practical way of shifting from a dogmatic position to an accommodating position. 

One might have an extreme or exclusive view on certain matters, but if it restricts others of their freedom to stick to their own view, then I am not considerate enough!  

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment