05 October, 2022

Hidden in silence!


 


It was the bird call yesterday that alerted me about the presence of a Bulbul, hidden in the foliage a tree in our garden! As the Bulbul was in the foliage which was covered from three sides, I reached the terrace of our cottage to get a closer view of the Bulbul. Its bird call was infrequent and just audible. 

Most birds are silently present in different locations. The bird calls alert us of their locations and movements. 

Normally silence is the language they practice except when they want to communicate. 

For the humans, conversation is the normal language. Silence is therefore by choice. As I watched this Bulbul for about twenty minutes before it flew away, I felt moved by its   stillness and silence. It moved its neck to have a 360 degree view of the surrounding. Except for that, it was still and silent.  

Its stillness and silence comes from practice. A bulbul is behaviourally friendly and seeks to reside beside human habitations. In fact, we had a Bulbul flying into veranda yesterday and explore the area, although we were seated at the adjoining area. It was not disturbed by our presence. 

The practice of stillness and silence brings many advantages. One that struck me yesterday is the freedom from fear or anxiety, while watching the behaviour of the Bulbul in our veranda. 

As I grow older there is a natural fretfulness and anxiety that set in. There are fears on account of bodily limitations. With tinnitus in one ear and lingering backache and consciousness of limitations that this can bring in, it is natural to be anxious. During a longer time of stillness and practice of silence yesterday, I felt that there was an unburdening and sense of relaxation.

I have often sensed in the recent months that silence inwardly is akin to prayer, where one can feel anchored in 'whom we live, move and have our being'.  The prayer experience brings coherence, togetherness and rest. It is when we have a sense of belonging, we feel liberated from the anxiety which is often a consequence of what we go through. 

I felt good that a Bulbul awakened these thoughts within me !

A Bulbul was messenger for me yesterday!

Later in the mid morning, I noticed another Bulbul in still composure in another tree, this time visible, but silent! This location is often a site where I notice birds perched when alone!




M.C.Mathew (text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment