11 October, 2022

Wet, dry and dew !










The above pictures are taken in the mornings during the recent three months- the first three pictures during the rainy days, the next three during the sunny days and the last three during the recent weeks when the night dew is just visible on the flowers in the garden. 

The three seasons are not often distinct, as weather changes even between days. Nevertheless there are days when all the the three sights can be seen in one day- a wet morning, sunny day and dew at night. 

I have had occasions in the last week to look at the seasons in my consciousness. I have had experiences of disappointment, greyish outlook and cheerful orientation, all in one day!

I reflected on how these differing experiences affect my inner wellness. The flowers presented  in this post thrived in all the three seasons. The flowers are conditioned to withstand, rain, heat of the day and the fall of temperature at night. 

I feel humans too are such beings with tenacity to be stretched by circumstances.  But as I passed through the impact of health related challenges during the last one month, affected by situations within me and around me, I realised that the stretchability too can come to a halt.

Living is a vocation and not just existing. To live is to be life-giving! That is what the flowers do. They give the nectar to the bees, birds, butterflies and insects. They cannot choose their visitors to offer the nectar. They welcome every visitor and give their provision freely. 

I felt occupied by this theme for a few days now. The theme of quiet presence has been a major theme in my inner orientation for a while now. It is in that setting an uplifting inner consciousness is dawning within- to live is to be life giving!

Every visitor, about ten to fifteen each day, whom I welcome at my work each day comes to receive. To be open to give with no bias or reservation is a calling that I have felt in the recent weeks. When I hear disturbing trends in parental behaviour towards children, between husband and wife, between siblings or between professionals, I feel shaken inside! To recompose to listen to the conversation attentively and thoughtfully is sometimes difficult. And yet that alone is the way forward to be open to give. 

The flower gives because it is still alive and connected to the plant. 

I recall a Bible verse from the Gospel of John 15: 4 which has drawn my attention to ponder upon. Jesus of Nazareth said, 'Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it aides in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in Me'. 

To live to give is through  abiding in God!

The fullness of life springs from this experience. That is what makes giving and forgiving possible! 


M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment