25 February, 2021

The paddy field in harvest time!




It is now over a week since the harvest commenced. With a just a few workers the progress has been slow.  

I stand and watch this sight in the morning and evening while going and returning from work. One farmers told me that it is laborious to get the grains ready for taking to the market. At the market, the sale price is distributed sometimes even after six months, perhaps just before the next planting season. 

Listening to him made me feel that he was heavy of heart and has debts to pay to the bank. He looked most pleased that the harvest yielded well, the best in the last three years. That was an encouraging sign of something good in sight.

When he turned his attention to the farmers in Delhi, his voice choked. He felt for them as they lived for over four months in the streets of Delhi with none giving enough attention to the needs of the farmers! His question to me, 'Don't others feel for farmers who bring food to their table'!

I returned home yesterday with that question in my mind! I woke up twice in the night and felt the question in my mind!

Where are those who feel enough to reduce the suffering and support a cause. 

A grandfather who brought his grandson for consultation looked oblivious of the unspoken needs of a pre-adolescent  child. The boy meets his parents once in a year as they work overseas. This is so for six years now. All through the consultation the boy sat with his head down. During a few minutes when I found him alone, he told me that he was lonely! He spoke to me in a subdued voice. 

Every occasion is an opportunity to be a listener and to feel with those who are hurting!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment