17 February, 2021

One fruit!


Although there are  few bunches fo flowers, only one chew nut has appeared in this tree so far. I visited this tree almost every day only to come back disappointed. 

Three weeks earlier when I first noticed the earlier stages of this cashew nut, I wondered whether it would survive as ants had already covered it. Now there is more hope that it might survive. 

Thirty eight years in to my professional life in Child development,  one large gain that I perceive is how children and families have touched me deeply. 

A father who came with his seven year old child, coping with his ageing parents, his wife working overseas for ten years to earn enough for the family and his son in a state of anguish and anxiety disorder told me, 'is there anything that I can do, now that my son is old and not at school'! When I asked him if there is any chance for his wife to return permanently and the three children now in two different places coming together, he said, 'that is his longing in the next six months'! His teary eyes and broken spirit made me silent. 

Such silences are solemn occasions in a professional's life. 

When we are lost without an answer or direction, we need inner prompting. I suggested that he came on phone for a conversation, he looked brighter and in his choked voice said, 'I will'!

What is this gain that I refer to ! To have an opportunity to lead people to journey to their depth and enable to speak from an awareness from deep within. To be a sounding board for people who are seekers!

Even in the 'barrenness', there might be one open door of opportunity that this family too might have! 

That is why even one cashew fruit is large enough!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sir,
    This time and energy that you give to people is selfless. Being available for conversation to many who seek your wisdom and understanding, gives a beacon of hope for those of us trying to find meaning in our life and live out its purpose. Indeed one cashew fruit is large enough!

    ReplyDelete