27 February, 2021

My work corner!



It was yesterday I realised that this work corner is the sixth location, I have occupied for my clinical work in the last eight years. It is a corner of a large hall, which is used for multiple purposes. This corner has all the facilities that I would have aspired for, even a wash basin, which was not there in any of the five other places I occupied earlier. 

Yesterday I had about an hour for myself as two children dropped out from coming for consultation. It was during that time, I had an opportunity to go back to my memory lane to visualise about fifty Child Development Centres that I have been to in India and nine other countries. 

I wondered as to what made me design the room the way it is now. It was one thought. What would make a space visually friendly! In a COVID season I wanted to avoid having articles or toys that children would feel tempted to handle or mouth as it would make it difficult to sanitise them. 

Since started using this place for the last two weeks, most children who came sat glued to the chair, looking around in the room to identify about fifty or so pictures all around on the display stands. It is  a new discovery for me! Children can visually engage pictures and name them  to associate an information with the pictures. 

With the outside temperature soaring to 31 degree celsius and humidity to about 60 percent, the ambience in this work space is cooler and lighter because it is the ground floor and is well ventilated. 

It is a place that reminds me that it is the heart that makes the ambience and not the just physical settings alone! 

To know what you need and match the physical ambience with what you need at a particular time, is one way of making a work place hospitable to others and comfortable to oneself!

M.C. Mathew(text and photo)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment