13 September, 2020

Felling a coconut tree!


 Three coconut trees which got partially damaged in the recent rains need to be felled into our garden. All three o them were about seventy years old. 

As I watched the climber cut the tree by being precariously seated in an improvised seat at a height of about fifty feet to fell the tree in three parts, I got a sense of the risky and demanding work that these workers are engaged in every day. 


I found out that they have no insurance cover. They do not have even a health cover package!

To me climbing height manually looked a frightening sight. To position themselves by supporting with one hand and cut with the other hand looked most risky! 

I felt near to them emotionally as I stayed watching them exercise their skills and fell the trees accurately on the ground, avoiding the adjacent tall trees. They needed a high level of precision and good planning to do this well. I was impressed by their outstanding skills. 

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment