27 September, 2020

A common Tailor bird




I have a strong suspicion that this bird I spotted this morning in our garden is a common tailorbird. It was with its pair, but it hid itself behind thick foliage.  

I am not sure if the one below was its pair as I noticed it alone in an adjacent tree!



They are shy of sights and sounds, although can come to the veranda of occupied houses.  

The name 'tailorbird' is given to it because they sew the edges of the leaves together with spider's web or plant fibre to make nest which they fill with grass or cotton at the time of nesting. 

There are 13 species to the genus Orthotomus, out of which at least five varieties can be noticed in gardens. They are residents in urban gardens. 

A small bird, but elegant in look and behaviour. Its nesting season is April to September. I shall look around in the garden for its nest!

Yes, 'small is beautiful'

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment