20 September, 2016

Men's conversation!


I was with some relatives attending a function last week! There were many cars parked in the ground. Obviously the attention of all of us turned to the different brands of cards parked. One commented that the cost of the cars parked would exceed thirty crores of rupees. Some cars were the costliest in the market. 

One of us tried turning the attention to something else, but the conversation soon drifted back to the cars. It was an education tour on the special features of some popular and costly brands.

I too am a car enthusiast. Therefore I was fascinated by the information.

But at the end of the conversation, I realised that we talked about everything else except about ourselves! We even talked about our children and grandchildren! The closet that came to any personal reference was the 'busy' pace of work and challenges to our health!

I remember a senior counsellor telling me once that it is good to make a self disclosure about oneself in a group to turn the conversation to a life centred content! I am afraid I did not do this on this occasion! I returned from this meeting with an awareness that it is necessary to focus on making conversations edifying and not just sharing information alone!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment