20 September, 2016

Baptismal outlook!


Anna and I attended a baptismal service of an infant last week, conducted according to the rites of the Marthoma Syrian Church .

As the opinions on baptism range from infant baptism to adult baptism, the celebrant priest expounded at the beginning of the service, that what matters is the personal faith of every member of the church in the person of Jesus of Nazareth, and not following only some  rituals and practices. 

I was encouraged by the emphasis he gave to the heart of faith journey for every member of the church!

Faith, hope and love are the three anchors which St. Paul emphasised in I Cor. 13 for a pilgrim journey for all those who want to follow the life and teaching of Jesus of Nazareth!

And yet, it is this which is often tested, in our every day life. I had an intense struggle within myself against being indifferent to a family who had some fixed ideas about their child's learning prospects! As I reflected on that difficult experience, I became aware that loving even when it is difficult is the only option of true followers of Jesus of Nazareth!

M.C.Mathew(text and photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment