25 December, 2023

Looking to find!






The Bulbuls are regular visitors to the pepper plant in our front garden. They look for red berries. After a diligent search, if they do not find a red berry, they fly away to the next pepper plant in the garden. They go through the routine of visiting all the pepper plants till they find the feed. 

I feel surprised by this habit. Not to give up is their way! They search till they find. Food is their existential need. So they have a reason to be perseverant. 

Finding why we do what we do is a vocational question!

Most people look for fulfilment through doing work assigned to them. Some people look for building relationship while working, which involves giving oneself to listen and taking interest in the needs of others. 

I was with a senior friend on one occasion, when someone dropped in to ask him for a help. He listened to the visitor earnestly and patiently. At the end that the visitor said, 'Thank you for listening to me. I know that you might not be able to help me regarding the stress at work. But I was looking for someone to listen to me. You listened to me without interrupting or probing. You helped me by showing interest to know my situation'!

All of us need those, who listen to what we say and feel with us as we share!

That is one way we would feel supported when we negotiate difficult situations in our lives. We need listeners and not advisors, or intruders.

Listening to another person is a gift of love we offer. He or she is looking for a listening heart! Most people feel comforted when listened to! 

We need to seek for such people till we find! When we find such faithful listeners, they affirm us to find our path in our way! They give us no opinion but help us to discover our inner voice of reason and clarity. 

When we have such listeners, we feel secure to share our inner story and feel received!

M.C.Mathew(Text and photo)









No comments:

Post a Comment